I have a little bit of information on a Richard JOHNS of Calvert Co. MD. It was sent to me many years ago and was gleaned from the Friends Historical Library housed at Swarthmore College, in Swarthmore, PA 19081. I believe it's called the Swarthmore College Collection but I am unsure of this.
Richard JOHNS 29th day 5th month 1649 5th day of the week
Abraham 24th day 5th month 1677 mar Margaret England
Aquilla (1st) 30th day 7th month 1679
Priscilla 21st day 1st month 1681/2
Margaret 11th day 8th month 1683
Aquilla (2nd) 5th day 12th month 1684/85 mar Mary Hozier on the 16th day of the 9th month, 1704
Richard 4th day 2nd month 1687 mar Sarah Kensey 12th day 5th month 1689
Isaac 10th day 3rd month 1692 mar Ann Elizabeth 26th day 3rd month 1694
Aquilla, 2nd son, buried the Clifts graveyard, Calvert Co, MD on 11th day, 3rd month, 1682.
Abraham, buried new graveyard at Clifts, 9th day, 10th month, 1707.
Aquilla, 3rd son, buried by his bro Abraham, Clifts graveyard, 16th day, 11th month, 1709.
Elizabeth, wife of Richard, died 1st day, 12th month, 1715/16.
Richard, father, died 16th day, 10th month, 1717.
Richard, 4th son, died 16th day, 6th month, 1719.
Priscilla, died 1st day, 2nd month, 1725.
Kensey died 2nd day, 2nd month, 1729.
Ann Johns, wife of Isaac.
Isaac died 7th day, 12th month, 1733/34.
Subj: [JOHN-L] Richard Johns, 1649 Calvert Cliffs,
Date: 10/16/98 2:30:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time
My sources are: The Johns Family Tree, Crowther, Md Gen.Mag Vol 4, Jul 1963. Mrs. Druse ltr to LDS Family History Library, Acquisitions section, my file. Also Md HistMag XXX, 162 & Vol 18, p. 170, Subj: Chew Family.
Richard Johns, b. 29 Mar 1649, of Calvert Cliffs, Md., married Elizabeth Sparrow Kensey 7 Jun 1676 in Md. He died 16 Dec 1717 at Calvert Cliffs. She died 1 Feb 1715, same.
"George Fox is said to have converted Richard from the Church of England to the Friends (Quakers) when he visited the Western Shore of Md in 1672 (Journal of George Fox, Cambridge, 1911). Richard arrived in the colony in 1669, residing with John Gary. He held meetings of the Friends (and was a prominent member & clerk) at the Cliffs until his death in 1717. He emmigrated from Wales, county Camarthan, and from Bristol, England. Will probated 14 Jan 1717, Calvert Co Md."
Richard and Elizabeth had the following issue:
Abraham, b. 24 Jul 1677 - 9 Dec 1707, m. Margaret Hutchins
Aquilla, b. 30 Sep1679 - 11 May 1682
Priscilla, b. 21 Mar 1681 - 21 Apr 1725, m. Robert Roberts
Acquilla, b. abt 1682- 16 Jan 1709, m. Mary Hozier
Margaret, b. 11 Oct 1683 , m. Gerrard Hopkins in 1717
Richard, b. 4 Apr 1687 - 16 Aug 1719, m. Rebecca Hutchins abt 1707
Elizabeth, b. abt 1688
Kensey, b. 12 Jul 1689 - 2 Apr 1729, m. Elizabeth Chew
Isaac, b. 19 May 1692 - 15 Feb 1733, m. Anna Gallaway 25 Dec 1712
Note: I have some descendancy info on several of these children.
Submitted by: Cliff Johns
Subj: Re: Calling all JOHNS researchers
Date: 10/8/98 11:14:37 PM Central Daylight Time
From: email@example.com (Norvan L. Johnson)
Here is the Johns that I have
Norvan L. Johnson 6600 W. 178 Th. St. Tinley Park,
IL 60477-4051 PH # 708-532-3259 firstname.lastname@example.org ICQ #8748339 http://email@example.com/
Descendants of Richard Johns
Generation No. 1
1. RICHARD1 JOHNS was born 1645 in Bristol, England, and died in ]. He married ELIZABETH KINSEY, daughter of HUGH KINSEY.
Children of RICHARD JOHNS and ELIZABETH KINSEY are:
2. i. KINSEY2 JOHNS, b. 12 May 1689; d. 02 Feb 1728/29.
3. ii. RICHARD JOHNS, JR., b. 04 Feb 1686/87; d. 16 Jun 1719.
4. iii. ABRAHAM JOHNS, b. 24 May 1677; d. 09 Oct 1707.
5. iv. ARQUILLA JOHNS, b. Abt. 30 Jul 1679; d. Abt. 16 Nov 1710.
v. PRISCILLA JOHNS, b. 21 Jan 1680/81; d. 01 Feb 1724/25; m. RICHARD ROBERTS, 03 Oct 1703.
vi. MARGARET JOHNS, b. 11 Aug 1683; m. NEHEMIAH BIRCKHEAD, 15 Apr 1712.
6. vii. ISAAC JOHNS, SR., b. 10 Mar 1691/92.
viii. ELIZABETH JOHNS, b. 26 Mar 1694; m. (1) ROBERT ROBERTS; m. (2) HENRY TROTH, 03 Jun 1711.
Generation No. 2
2. KINSEY2 JOHNS (RICHARD1) was born 12 May 1689, and died 02 Feb 1728/29. He married ELIZABETH CHEW 22 Oct 1710.
Children of KINSEY JOHNS and ELIZABETH CHEW are:
i. ANN3 JOHNS, b. 27 Dec 1710; d. 30 May 1720.
ii. RICHARD JOHNS, b. 26 Feb 1711/12; d. Jan 1729/30; m. ANN COALE, 14 May 1727, Calvert Co., Maryland.
7. iii. BENJAMIN JOHNS, b. 22 Nov 1713; d. 09 Mar 1749/50.
8. iv. ELIZABETH JOHNS, b. 16 Nov 1715; d. 27 Nov 1744, Calvert Co., Maryland.
v. SAMUEL JOHNS, b. 03 Jan 1716/17.
vi. KINSEY JOHNS II, b. 11 Mar 1721/22; m. SUSSANA GALLOWAY.
vii. RACHEL JOHNS, b. 18 Feb 1723/24.
viii. MARY JOHNS, b. Abt. 1726.
3. RICHARD2 JOHNS, JR. (RICHARD1) was born 04 Feb 1686/87, and died 16 Jun 1719. He married PRISCILLA HUTCHINS 03 Aug 1707, daughter of FRANCIS HUTCHINS and ELIZABETH BURRAGE.
Children of RICHARD JOHNS and PRISCILLA HUTCHINS are:
i. ELIZABETH3 JOHNS, b. 30 Jun 1708; d. 13 Oct 1742.
ii. RICHARD JOHNS III, b. 04 Nov 1709; d. Dec 1745; m. SARAH .......
9. iii. BENJAMIN JOHNS, b. Abt. 1712.
iv. ABRAHAM JOHNS, b. 30 Jun 1711; d. 11 Mar 1719/20.
v. PRISCILLA JOHNS, b. 21 Jun 1713; d. 20 Aug 1724.
vi. MARGARET JOHNS, b. 22 May 1715.
vii. SARAH JOHNS, b. 14 Nov 1716; d. 29 Jan 1730/31.
viii. MARY JOHNS, b. 29 Jan 1718/19.
4. ABRAHAM2 JOHNS (RICHARD1) was born 24 May 1677, and died 09 Oct 1707. He married MARGARET .......
Children of ABRAHAM JOHNS and MARGARET ...... are:
i. ABRAHAM3 JOHNS, b. 07 Dec 1704.
ii. ELIZABETH JOHNS, b. 02 Oct 1706.
iii. RICHARD JOHNS, b. Abt. 1707; d. 24 Sep 1748.
5. ARQUILLA2 JOHNS (RICHARD1) was born Abt. 30 Jul 1679, and died Abt. 16 Nov 1710. He married MARY HOSIER, daughter of HENRY HOSIER.
Children of ARQUILLA JOHNS and MARY HOSIER are:
i. REBECCA3 JOHNS, b. 04 Dec 1706.
ii. RICHARD JOHNS, b. 02 Oct 1707.
iii. AQUILLA JOHNS, JR., b. Abt. 14 Nov 1710.
6. ISAAC2 JOHNS, SR. (RICHARD1) was born 10 Mar 1691/92. He married (1) ANN GALLOWAY 27 Oct 1712. He married (2) ELIZA ROBERTSON HARRIS Aft. 1728.
Children of ISAAC JOHNS and ANN GALLOWAY are:
i. RICHARD3 JOHNS, b. 11 Sep 1714.
ii. SAMUEL JOHNS, b. 31 May 1716.
10. iii. ANN JOHNS, b. 28 Dec 1721.
iv. ABRAHAM JOHNS, b. 05 Jun 1718.
v. ISAAC JOHNS, b. 15 Nov 1719.
vi. JACOB JOHNS, b. Abt. 04 Dec 1724.
vii. ELIZABETH JOHNS, b. 21 Jul 1728; d. 15 Jun 1729.
Child of ISAAC JOHNS and ELIZA HARRIS is:
viii. AQUILLA3 JOHNS, b. 11 Sep 1731; d. 20 Jul 1737.
Generation No. 3
7. BENJAMIN3 JOHNS (KINSEY2, RICHARD1) was born 22 Nov 1713, and died 09 Mar 1749/50. He married RACHEL ...... Abt. 1743.
Children of BENJAMIN JOHNS and RACHEL ...... are:
i. KINSEY4 JOHNS, b. Nov 1744.
ii. BENJAMIN JOHNS, b. Aug 1746.
iii. RICHARD JOHNS, b. 14 Sep 1748.
8. ELIZABETH3 JOHNS (KINSEY2, RICHARD1) was born 16 Nov 1715, and died 27 Nov 1744 in Calvert Co., Maryland. She married BENJAMIN HANCE, JR., son of BENJAMIN HANCE and MARY HUTCHINS.
Child of ELIZABETH JOHNS and BENJAMIN HANCE is:
11. i. BENJAMIN4 HANCE III, d. 1773, Calvert Co., Maryland.
9. BENJAMIN3 JOHNS (RICHARD2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1712. He married WIFE .......
Children of BENJAMIN JOHNS and WIFE ...... are:
i. RICHARD4 JOHNS IV, b. 02 May 1734; d. 22 Jun 1735.
ii. ELIZABETH JOHNS, b. Jun 1739.
iii. RICHARD JOHNS V, b. Jun 1739.
iv. JOSEPH JOHNS, b. Abt. 1743.
10. ANN3 JOHNS (ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born 28 Dec 1721. She married JOSEPH HANCE 16 Oct 1737, son of BENJAMIN HANCE and MARY HUTCHINS.
Children of ANN JOHNS and JOSEPH HANCE are:
i. MARY4 HANCE, b. 05 Sep 1738.
ii. ANN HANCE, b. 01 Jan 1739/40.
12. iii. ELIZABETH HANCE, b. Abt. Jul 1741, Calvert Co., MD; d. Jun 1833, Bourbon Co., KY.
13. iv. BENJAMIN HANCE, b. 19 Mar 1743/44; d. Bef. 1827.
Generation No. 4
11. BENJAMIN4 HANCE III (ELIZABETH3 JOHNS, KINSEY2, RICHARD1) died 1773 in Calvert Co., Maryland.
Children of BENJAMIN HANCE III are:
i. KINZEY5 HANCE.
ii. MARY HANCE.
12. ELIZABETH4 HANCE (ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. Jul 1741 in Calvert Co., MD, and died Jun 1833 in Bourbon Co., KY. She married BENJAMIN HARDESTY, SR. Abt. 1765 in Calvert Co., MD, son of WILLIAM HARDESTY and PRISCILLA LAWRENCE.
Notes for BENJAMIN HARDESTY, SR.:
Brought his family to Kentucky from Maryland about 1784
Children of ELIZABETH HANCE and BENJAMIN HARDESTY are:
14. i. BENJAMIN5 HARDESTY, JR., b. Abt. 1776, VA.
15. ii. HENRY HARDESTY, SR., b. 16 Jan 1765, Hagerstown, Calvert Co., MD; d. 21 Feb 1857, Fayette, Co., KY.
iii. WILLIAM HARDESTY.
iv. SAMUEL HARDESTY.
16. v. FRANCIS HARDESTY, b. Abt. 1790, Bourbon Co Ky; d. Abt. 1880.
vi. THOMAS HARDESTY.
vii. MARY DUCKER HARDESTY.
viii. ELIZABETH BROWN HARDESTY.
ix. REBECCA DELANY HARDESTY.
x. SARAH FRANCIS HARDESTY.
xi. KINSEY HARDESTY.
13. BENJAMIN4 HANCE (ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born 19 Mar 1743/44, and died Bef. 1827. He married BETTY BOURNE, daughter of JACOB BOURNE.
Children of BENJAMIN HANCE and BETTY BOURNE are:
17. i. REBECCA5 HANCE, b. Abt. 1772.
18. ii. JACOB B. HANCE, b. 1774.
Generation No. 5
14. BENJAMIN5 HARDESTY, JR. (ELIZABETH4 HANCE, ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1776 in VA. He married NANCY SAGESER 22 Dec 1809 in Fayette Co., KY, daughter of JACOB SAGESER and ANNA .......
Notes for BENJAMIN HARDESTY, JR.:
Children of BENJAMIN HARDESTY and NANCY SAGESER are:
i. SARAH6 HARDESTY, b. Abt. 1810; m. THOMAS DOWNING.
ii. CASSANDRA ALICE HARDESTY, b. 07 Feb 1811, Fayette Co., KY; m. (1) AARON SAGESER, 26 Aug 1830, Fayette Co., KY; m. (2) ABRAM M. ANDREWS, 28 Oct 1869, Fayette Co., KY.
More About AARON SAGESER:
Census # 1: 1850, Campbellsburg, Henry Co., KY
More About ABRAM M. ANDREWS:
Veteran: WAR 1812
iii. GEORGE HARDESTY, b. Abt. 1812; m. NANCY BROWN, 17 Dec 1840, Carroll Co., KY.
iv. JACOB HARDESTY, b. 01 Feb 1816, Bourbon Co., KY; m. DIANNE M. MATTHEWS, 19 Oct 1837.
Notes for JACOB HARDESTY:
from hardesty.j.txt at www.starbase21.com
v. LUCINDA HARDESTY, b. Abt. 1820; m. GEORGE H. HARDESTY, 25 Jul 1842, Fayette Co., KY.
vi. BENJAMIN HARDESTY, b. 26 May 1825, Fayette Co., KY; d. 07 Sep 1900, Henry Co., KY; m. MATILDY ROBINSON, 20 Feb 1851.
15. HENRY5 HARDESTY, SR. (ELIZABETH4 HANCE, ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born 16 Jan 1765 in Hagerstown, Calvert Co., MD, and died 21 Feb 1857 in Fayette, Co., KY. He married (1) SUSANNA KEMPER 10 May 1795 in Mason Co., KY. He married (2) SALLY DYKES 22 Jul 1803 in Fayette, Co., KY.
Children of HENRY HARDESTY and SALLY DYKES are:
i. BENJAMIN6 HARDESTY, d. 1826.
ii. ELIZABETH HARDESTY, m. JOHN STONESTREET, 13 Nov 1818, Fayette, Co., KY.
iii. LUCY HARDESTY, m. BENJAMIN D. KEMPER, 25 Jun 1838, Fayette, Co., KY.
iv. MARY HARDESTY, m. BALL.
v. MOSES CLIFTON HARDESTY, d. 1850, LA..
vi. ROBERT HARDESTY, d. Abt. 1838, Shelby Co., KY.
vii. SARAH D. HARDESTY, m. LEVI KEMPER, Abt. 01 Jul 1841, Fayette, Co., KY.
viii. NANCY HARDESTY, b. 1807, Fayette, Co., KY; d. 1893, Shelby Co., KY; m. WILLIAM HEDGES, 08 Dec 1826, Fayette, Co., KY.
ix. HENRY HARDESTY, JR., b. 17 Sep 1817; m. SARAH ANN SHELY, 10 Jun 1834, Fayette, Co., KY.
x. ELIZA JANE HARDESTY, b. 17 Jan 1825, Fayette, Co., KY; m. AMBROSE DUDLEY HAMON, 25 Oct 1848, Fayette, Co., KY.
xi. JUDITH HARDESTY, b. Abt. 1826.
xii. FRANCES HARDESTY, b. Abt. 1830; m. JOHN LEE.
16. FRANCIS5 HARDESTY (ELIZABETH4 HANCE, ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1790 in Bourbon Co Ky, and died Abt. 1880. He married CATHERINE TROUTMAN 30 Oct 1810 in Fayette Co, daughter of JACOB TROUTMAN and MARY HUTSELL.
Children of FRANCIS HARDESTY and CATHERINE TROUTMAN are:
i. JACOB6 HARDESTY, b. 1812, Bourbon Co Ky; d. 16 Jun 1899, Crittenden County, Kentucky; m. (1) KITTY ANN PEEL, 25 Oct 1833, Bourbon Co Ky; m. (2) MARTHA YOUNGER MOORE, 06 Sep 1873, Crittenden County, Kentucky.
ii. MATILDA HARDESTY, b. 1835.
iii. ELIZA HARDESTY.
iv. NANCY HARDESTY.
v. SUSAN HARDESTY.
vi. ZARELDA HARDESTY.
vii. MARY HARDESTY.
viii. ELIZABETH HARDESTY, b. 1826.
ix. PLEASANT HARDESTY, b. 1828.
x. SARAH HARDESTY, b. 1834.
xi. JANE HARDESTY, b. 1830.
17. REBECCA5 HANCE (BENJAMIN4, ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1772. She married SUTTON WEEMS.
Children of REBECCA HANCE and SUTTON WEEMS are:
i. LOCKE6 WEEMS.
ii. SARAH WEEMS.
18. JACOB B.5 HANCE (BENJAMIN4, ANN3 JOHNS, ISAAC2, RICHARD1) was born 1774. He married JANE JOHNS.
Children of JACOB HANCE and JANE JOHNS are:
i. REBECCA6 HANCE, b. 1808; m. GEORGE GRAY.
ii. KINSEY HANCE, b. 19 Mar 1810.
iii. BENJAMIN J. HANCE, b. 15 May 1812.
iv. GEORGE BOURNE HANCE, b. 19 Mar 1816.
v. JAMES JOHN MACKELL HANCE, b. 05 Oct 1818.
vi. ELIZABETH HANCE, b. 17 Sep 1822; d. 27 Mar 1864; m. RICHARD SUNDERLAND.
vii. JACOB THOMAS HANCE, b. 17 Mar 1824.
viii. MARY ALICE HANCE, b. Abt. 1826; m. (1) THOMAS CLEVERLY; m. (2) THOMAS CLEVERLY IRELAND, Abt. 1852.
ix. MARGARET HANCE, b. Abt. 1830.
Return to Main Johns Page